Defending World Champion Jim Clark made history in 1964 by becoming the first driver ever to earn the Indianapolis 500 pole position while driving a rear-engine car. Powered by a double-overhead camshaft V8 Ford engine, Clark’s British-built Lotus type-34 smashed the qualifying records with a four-lap average of 158.828 mph and a single lap at 159.377 mph. Clark was eliminated from the race by tire failure while leading at 47 laps. With a European scheduling conflict precluding Clark from competing in a 200-mile race at Milwaukee, Wisconsin’s in August, American Parnelli Jones took his place and won the race. After Jones won with a similar car at the Trenton, New Jersey 200 in September, the ’64 pole winner was acquired by J.C. Agajanian for Jones to drive in 1965. Painted gold and running as the Agajanian/Hurst Floor Shift Special, it finished 2nd in the Indianapolis 500, and won a week later at Milwaukee.
Save the Date!
June 28, 2015
THE ART OF THE
Carroll Shelby ordered five cars for the 1965 United States Road Racing Championship season from Alejandro de Tomaso in Italy. Peter Brock did the design. Time was short and the project was ambitious – de Tomaso was to build a 427 c.i. engine as well as the rear-engine, backbone chassis. Brock was dispatched to Italy to oversee the bodywork. He worked with coachbuilder Medardo Fantuzzi while de Tomaso fell behind schedule. Shelby had undertaken Ford’s GT40 program and withdrew his orders on short notice, infuriating de Tomaso, who retained the car. He entered it in only one race, where it failed to finish a lap. It is on the field today courtesy of Mark M. One of Brock’s best designs and also one of racing’s great might-have-bins, the car is now fitted with a Gurney-Westlake five-liter Ford V-8.
Story provided by Michael Lynch (Art of the Car Concours Vice Chairman)
Based on earlier Meguro designs, the SG model was sold between 1964 and 1969. It featured a 250cc four stroke engine that produced 18 horsepower @ 7,000 rpm. This bike was a joint design venture between the Kawasaki Aircraft Company, a division of Kawasaki Heavy Industries, LTD and the Meguro Manufacturing Company. Early versions sold in America came with either Meguro or Kawasaki name badges on the tank. The SG was the last model sold with the Meguro name before the company was purchased by Kawasaki. The SG was available in both solo and long touring seat styling. Not many solo configurations were produced which makes this bike very rare.
This SG was purchased by Kawasaki motorcycle distributor Fred Masek of Masek Auto in Gering, Nebraska. The SG was part of Fred's personal collection and never sold. He eventually donated the SG to Kawasaki Motors Corporation in Irvine, CA for display in their museum. Fred's son, Alan, ended up becoming Kawasaki's first National Sales Manager. The bike is 100% original, no restoration has been done. The engine was manufactured by Kawasaki. We're not sure if Kawasaki or Meguro built the frame, or did the painting and assembly. That information was lost in the Meguro-Kawasaki merger. The year of manufacture is also unclear. It's believed to be a very early model due to it's configuration, estimated to have been built in late 1964 or early 1965. The SG is also one of the first 50 Kawasaki motorcycles imported to the United States.
Louis Renault made mass production a reality in France in parallel with the American Henrys (Leland and Ford) from whom he gladly learned and prospered. The Renault factory at Billancourt in Paris expanded after the First World War, adding modern production machinery and assembly line methods. It vertically integrating to include mines, foundries and steel mills. Models proliferated, from delivery vans to buses and airplane engines.
Atop it all was the Model 45, a 9.2 liter six-cylinder monster that defined in the early Twenties the concept of luxury, power, silence and opulence. Bugatti was an infant, Hispano-Suiza a vision, Rolls-Royce an upstart, when Louis Renault introduced his Model 45. It was the ultimate luxury car. Costing more than a contemporary Rolls-Royce, it embodied the best skills, methods, precision machining and forming from within Renault's vast enterprise.
Nestled nearly unobtrusively behind the front wheels under Renault's sloping hood was a 110x160mm bore and stroke 9,123cc inline side valve six-cylinder engine rated at 45 horsepower by the Royal Auto Club formula but developing much more horsepower on the dynamometer. Variously estimated at up to 140 brake horsepower, the Model 45's power is attested to by the accomplishment in 1925 of a Renault Type 45 with a streamlined coupe body achieving a 24 hour average speed of over 100mph at Montlhéry, in the process setting a closed course record of 107.9 mph. This wonderful Renault Model 45 Tourer is being shown by Mark Hyman and Hyman, Ltd.
The 1964 Cobra Daytona coupe, serial number CSX 2299, is one of six and the winningest of all. It was designed by Peter Brock and built by Shelby American to better the top speed of the Cobra roadster and it was immediately successful. This streamlined coupe, powered by a 289-cubic-inch Ford V-8 and driven by Bob Bondurant and Dan Gurney, finished first in the GT class and fourth overall in the 1964 24 Hours of Le Mans, its very first race. In 1965, this car played a crucial role in clinching the World Championship for Cobra, the first time for an American car.
Brock will be at the Concours on Sunday and at the Meet The Legends panel discussion on Saturday afternoon.
The Gulf/Mirage Ford GT40 #1074, currently owned by the Larry H. Miller Collection, was the first of three cars built for the John Wyer/Gulf team and one of the first to win a race wearing the iconic blue and orange Gulf livery. That was at Spa in 1967.
In 1970, this car, chassis #1074, was leased to Steve McQueen’s Solar Productions Company for use as a high-speed camera car for the filming of the movie “Le Mans.” The roof was removed, the rear deck was modified for a rotating camera and the doors were cut down as well. After the filming was completed the car was restored to its original configuration. The car is currently powered by 289-cubic-inch Ford V-8 with Dan Gurney Eagle heads. The engine has four Weber carburetors and generates about 440 horsepower. The transaxle is a five-speed ZF unit.
In 1936, Buick completely restyled itself using the designs of Harley J. Earl at General Motor’s Art & Colour Section. This stunning vehicle was given the name Roadmaster due to the incredible engineering and design improvements on the 1935 models. Known for its luxury, beautiful lines, and plenty of chrome The Series 80 Roadmaster is most frequently compared to Cadillacs, LaSalles, and Packards. Harley Earl liked streamlining and Buick epitomized this in 1936. Only 1,064 four-door convertible phaetons were produced, making this a rare example of this elegant vehicle. Sporting a Straight 8 engine, this vehicle produces about 120 horsepower. This particular Buick Series 80 Roadmaster, part of J.B. and Anne Hodgdon’s collection, was The Grand National Classic Car Club of America winner.
In 1971, John Fischer of St. Louis took delivery of a 1957 Ferrari 250 GT LWB Berlinetta Competition, chassis 0733, a model known as the Tour De France because of its success in that race series. Designed by Pinin Farina and built by Scaglietti in Modena, Italy, the car has a 3.0-liter, V-12 that produced about 250 horsepower. Fred Fischer, John’s son, was a teenager when his dad first bought the car, and he occasionally drove it to high school. He said no one paid attention to it because they preferred Mustangs and Camaros. The Fischer’s Ferrari was disassembled in 1973 and it languished in a garage for years. Once Fred took possession from his dad, he saved for 10 years, knowing that a full restoration would be costly. After careful research, Fred engaged D&D Classic Auto Restoration in Covington, Ohio, to tackle the project. D&D discovered that the handmade aluminum body, damaged in a racing incident when new, was different from side to side. The shop carefully corrected the damage so both sides match. The car is now painted French racing blue with a dark red stripe, just as it was ordered from the factory for its first race.
By the mid-sixties, Ford and Shelby began feeling the pressure of Chevrolet’s new Corvette Grand Sport. They knew that if they wanted to stay competitive in the racing world they would have to develop another, more powerful Cobra to replace the 289, which topped out at 390hp. The 427 Cobra was capable of delivering around 500 horsepower. Unfortunately, the FIA denied the Cobra homologation and it was not allowed to compete in the GT class. As a result, only 51 competition versions of this Cobra were ever built. We are excited to announce that this incredible 427 Competition Cobra, part of The Brothers Collection in Oregon, will be at the Concours.
Photo Credit: Bonhams (www.bonhams.com)
This one-of-a-kind vehicle will be on the show field courtesy of Jerry Old of Leawood, KS. The Godsal was designed by Charles Godsal, the son of known barrister and inventor Herbert Godsal. The vehicle’s chassis was built by Research Engineers in the United Kingdom and the body was built by Corsica. Featuring a flathead Ford V-8 engine, Charles Godsal fully intended for his vehicle to go in to production. Unfortunately, the prototype was extremely expensive and the vehicle never saw the assembly line.
The Shaw Manufacturing Company of Galesburg, Kansas dates to 1903, and Stanley Shaw was a pioneer in creating engines that could be used on existing bicycles. Shaw originally advertised in a new magazine named Popular Mechanics and built his engine business to the point that he acquired the Kokomo Motorcycle Company in Indiana in 1911. He continued to make both engines and complete motorcycles.
Photo Credit: Tom Strongman
The Mercedes-Benz 540K, arguably one of the most noteworthy production models offered by the company in the 1930's, will be joining our show field, courtesy of Stephen Plaster, of Lebanon, Missouri. Designed by an ex-racing driver, Max Sailer, the 540K was said to, "conjure up visions of breath-taking exploits of racing cars and drivers of international fame, but also of superlative comfort and coach work of exquisite beauty, in short: the car for the connoisseur". In line with that notion, the 540K's engine did not disappoint. It featured Mercedes-Benz's famous Roots-type supercharger system, the same system that had dominated the racing world during the 1920's. With its supercharger engaged, the 540K has a top speed of nearly 110mph.
Photo Credit: Bonhams (www.bonhams.com)
John Hollansworth of Hot Springs Village, Ark., loves recreating famous cars from the past. Bobby Schumacher, his son and the crew at Vintage Fabrications in Independence have just completed this re-creation of Ted Horn’s 1935 Miller Ford. In 1930 the Indianapolis Motor Speedway adopted the so-called “junk formula” that eliminated supercharging and allowed engines up to 366 cubic inches. Harry Miller worked with Ford to create a low, sleek racer whose front wheels were driven by a Ford flathead V-8. Hollansworth’s beauty will complement this year’s Concours’ special focus on “Total Performance – Powered by Ford.”
Photo Credit: The Miller Ford, photo by Tom Strongman
On December 7, 1941, Japanese planes attacked the United States Naval Base at Pearl Harbor, marking the start of the United States’ active involvement in World War II. Shortly thereafter, the government ordered most automotive assembly plants to stop production of civilian vehicles so that they could be converted to produce material for the war effort. It was not until 1946 that Ford reintroduced pick-up truck production. This truck, named “Lil Henry” by Wayne and Marilyn Blackmon of Tulsa, Oklahoma, was one of the first signs Henry Ford made to the American people that Ford was back, selling over 75,000 of these simple, V-8 flathead pick-up trucks that year
Photo Credit: Wayne & Marilyn Blackmon
This totally original Indian motorcycle, property of Harry Enyart, had been in disassembled and in storage for many years, but now, back together once again, it will make its first public appearance at this year’s Concours. The Powerplus was a 61-cubic-inch (1,000cc) V-twin flathead with side valves and it produced 16 horsepower. It had a rigid rear wheel and a three-speed. In August of 1915, Erwin “Cannonball” Baker rode a Powerplus from Vancouver to Tijuana in three days and nine hours. Enyart’s Indian was awarded Best of Show and Best American Motorcycle at this year’s Santa Fe Trails Vintage motorcycle show in Lawrence, Kan.
Photo credit: Harry Enyart’s Indian at the Lawrence vintage motorcycle show. Photo by Harry Enyart.
This beautiful Bugatti began as a Type 43 race car and it competed in Ireland’s 1929 Tourist Trophy Race. After it was out-powered by the Mercedes-Benz, the car was delivered to Carrosserie Figoni where the factory body was removed. It was replaced with this Figoni-designed open body. The car passed through three owners and disappeared from the official record. Dr. W. Granoff discovered it in a junkyard in 1957. The car was completely restored and a Type 44 engine was installed in 1959. The Mullin Automotive Museum purchased the car in 2010 and it will be on the field on June 26 at the Art of the Car Concours.
Photo Credit: Michael Furman
The three-wheeled Dymaxion was the brainchild of Buckminster Fuller, a visionary who worked in various fields from the environment to architecture. It has a fully streamlined body with front-wheel drive, rear-wheel steering and a Ford V-8 mounted amidships. It could carry 11 people and achieve 30 miles per gallon. Fuller built three cars between 1933 and 1934. Two cars were sold: one was destroyed in a crash and the other in a fire. The remaining, non-running Dymaxion is in the National Automobile Museum in Reno, Nevada. After much research, the team of restorers and mechanics at the Lane Motor Museum in Nashville created this replica of the Dymaxion and it will be on the Concours’ lawn.
Photo Credit: Tom Strongman
The Tucker ’48 is one of the most mysterious cars to roll out of an American factory. The torpedo-shaped car had a rear-mounted, six-cylinder helicopter engine driving the rear wheels. The company folded in 1949. Fifty-one Tuckers were built and 47 survive. Richard H. Driehaus of Chicago owns Tucker #1008. In September of 1949, 21-year-old Rudy Schroeder of Perryville, Mo., won the car with a 35-cent Veterans of Foreign Wars raffle ticket. He sold the car for $3,500 in December because couldn’t find a mechanic to maintain the car and two insurance companies dropped him. In 2011, Driehaus invited Schroeder to tell his story firsthand and to see and drive #1008 again. The Tucker will be on display at this year’s Concours.
Photo Credit: Chicago Vintage Motor Carriage & The Richard Driehaus Museum
The Shelby Cooper Monaco CM/5/64 King Cobra was delivered to Shelby American in July of 1964 for Bob Bondurant to drive in the fall pro series races. The car, prepared by crew chief Frank Lance, was ready for the L.A. Times Grand Prix at Riverside on October 11, 1964, finished in Guardsman Blue with white stripes and wearing the #93 with Bondurant at the helm. During practice the nose was heavily damaged in a shunt spinning on oil. The crew worked all night and installed a spare bare aluminum nose to be ready for the race. Bondurant finished 5th and Parnelli Jones won the race in a sister car, CM/6/64.
The fully repaired and repainted car was ready for the Pacific Grand Prix at Laguna Seca October 18th, 1964, wearing #96. It was a two heat race and Bondurant finished 3rd in both heats.
In the early 80s CM/5/64 returned to California and was restored by Barry Brown who mistakenly claimed CM/6/64 for the serial number. It competed in vintage races and passed through several collections.
In 2014 with the new availability of photographic evidence from the Dave Friedman Archive at the Henry Ford Museum the identity of both CM/5/64 and CM/6/64 was corrected. The new owner, Marc Devis from Belgium is having a full and accurate restoration completed at Sasco Motorsports in Virginia. The car will be reunited with Bondurant at the Concours in June.
Photo of the Shelby King Cobra at Laguna Seca, courtesy of the Henry Ford Museum.
Peter Boyle’s sleek 1938 Steyr 220 Sport Roadster embodies design cues from the Streamline Moderne movement with flowing fenders, skirted rear wheels and a stunning maroon-over-cream paint scheme. The Steyr 220 was produced from 1937 to 1941, according to an article in Hemmings Daily, but only six roadsters were made with a body designed by Gläser Coachworks. Three are known to exist and this is the only one thought to be in the United States. Boyle, of Oil City, Pennsylvania, bought the car in 2011 and had it restored by D&D Classic Automobile Restoration in Ohio.
Steyr, an Austrian company now known as Steyr-Daimler-Puch, is best known today for building trucks and military vehicles but it built luxury cars in the late 1930s. The 2.3-liter, six-cylinder engine in the Steyr 220 originally produced 55 horsepower. Boyle’s car, however, was built as a demonstrator for a dealer in Berlin and it has dual carburetors, dual exhausts, bigger valves and a different cam. Output is estimated to be 85 horsepower. The transmission is a four-speed.
Boyle’s car won Best in Show at the 2013 Pinehurst Concours d’Elegance, second place in the European Classic: Grand Touring class at Pebble Beach Concours d’Elegance in 2012 and first in the European Classic class at the 2015 Concours d’Elegance of America at the Inn at St. John’s. The Art of the Car Concours is proud to have this singularly beautiful car take its place on the show field on June 26. Photo Credit: D&D Classic Automobile Restoration.
While the 2016 Concours’ Special Exhibitor vehicles will be “Total Performance — Powered by Ford,” it is important to note that Ford’s racing heritage reaches back more than 100 years. Phil Tate’s recreation of his grandfather’s 1921 Ford Model T speedster is an excellent example. Joe Tate owned the Gallatin Motor Co., a Ford dealership, and he had considerable success racing the Gallatin Four on dirt tracks in northwestern Missouri from 1919 to 1921. In September of 1921, Joe was a lap and a half ahead of his competitors at the Hamilton, Mo., fairgrounds track when his racer spun out and crashed through a fence. A broken jaw put an end to Joe’s racing and he sold the car, although there is speculation that he raced it at least one more time at the Kansas State Fair.
Phil Tate, of Gallatin, Mo., was fascinated by his grandfather’s racing history and wanted to honor him by building a replica of the racer. The problem was that he only had word-of-mouth stories and a torn photograph on which to base his recreation. After considerable research, he had Wilson Rods of Macon, Mo., construct of this wooden-wheeled two-seater with a shortened frame and a lowered suspension. It will be on the show field at the concours on June 26.
In the early 1960's, U.S. auto companies were barred from direct participation in racing by an agreement that all had signed. Ford recognized that the bulge in the population known as the baby boomers were coming to the age of their first auto purchases and Ford’s line was too stodgy to impress them. Henry Ford sent a letter to the Manufacturers Association informing them that Ford would no longer be part of the no racing agreement. This led to a promotional campaign known as “Total Performance”. It centered on major racing series including Formula 1, Indianapolis cars, International sports car racing, drag racing, and NASCAR.
The program lasted from 1962 to 1970 and the most important results were winning the Formula 1 World Championship, the Indianapolis 500, the 24 sports car race at Le Mans and the World Sports Car Manufacturers’ Championship.
We are pleased to announce that we will have one of the five Shelby FIA Cobra roadsters that contested the Sports Car World Championship in 1964-65. This car, CSX 2345, was the only team car used in both seasons and had more class wins, five, than any other Cobra FIA car. It scored points in 1965 that allowed the Cobra marque to win the World Sports Car Championship that year, the first time an American car had won. Adding to this great car’s authenticity, it has never been restored and we will see the car as it finished its last race.
We thank Steve Volk and the Shelby American Collection in Boulder, Colorado for sharing this significant artifact of American racing history with our guests. Steve Volk was raised in Kansas City and graduated from Southwest High School and UMKC Dental School. Photo with credit to the Shelby American Collection.
The Gulf Oil Company commissioned Harry Miller to build three rear-engined Indy cars for the 1938 Indianapolis 500. The forward thinking design featured four-wheel drive and a six-cylinder Miller engine tilted on its side. The three cars were entered in 1939 but only one qualified, in sixth place. This was the first rear-engined car in an Indy 500 line-up. One only car remains of the original three, and it is in the Indianapolis Museum. This car is an exact copy. Babineau MetalWorks created the hand-formed aluminum body. Neidell, of Tulsa, attended the Kansas City Art Institute. Photo with credit to Lester Neidell.
The chassis of Boyle’s Isotta Fraschini, serial number 1353, Tipo 8A SS, was delivered to the United States in 1928. The convertible boat tail body with a single rumble seat was fitted by LeBaron. The straight-eight engine develops 160 horsepower. The car was introduced at the New York Auto Show and was purchased by Harry Williams of Patterson, Louisiana. Williams, known to drive fast, was once stopped while passing through a small Louisiana town. The fine was $10. Harry reportedly said, “Okay, here is $20. I will be back through town later and don’t bother me.” Peter Boyle is from Oil City, Pennsylvania. Photo with credit to D&D Classic Automobile Restoration.
This self-effacing English sedan often humbled more powerful cars on a racetrack. Its Ford Kent four-cylinder engine had a twin-cam cylinder head developed by Colin Chapman, of Lotus, and Keith Duckworth, of Cosworth. In 1963, Ford’s Walter Hayes asked Chapman to put the engine into the two-door Ford Cortina and in 1964 the legendary Jimmy Clark won the British Saloon Car Championship. Brock McPherson of Great Bend, Kan., will display his 1966 Cortina, one of 567 built. McPherson’s car is a veteran of Rocky Mountain Vintage Racing events. *Please note this is not an actual photo of Brock McPherson's Ford Lotus Cortina, however it is the same year/make/model/color as his. Photo with credit to Bonhams.
In keeping with the Concours’ special focus on “Total Performance — Powered by Ford,” Richard Morrison of Salina, Kansas, is bringing his bright yellow 2005 Ford GT. The Ford GT concept was a tribute to Ford’s Le Mans-winning original GT40. It made its debut at the North American International Auto Show in 2002 and was soon put into production as part of Ford’s centennial celebration. Delivery began in late 2004 and production stopped in 2006. Slightly more than 4000 were built. Ford’s Camilo Pardo was the chief designer and Carroll Shelby was consulted during performance testing of the prototype.
This year will mark the Tenth Anniversary of the Art of the Car Concours, and to celebrate the history of this event we have invited all previous People’s Choice Winning Vehicles to return to our show field. Dennis Kiefer of Memphis won first place in this category in 2014 for his 1934 Lincoln KB All Weather Semi-Collapsible Cabriolet. The vehicle’s body by Brunn is one of two produced from that year. The car was originally built for the Hardenburg family, owners of the Plaza Hotel in New York.
Jack Kahler, noted MG collector from Littleton, Colorado, and frequent exhibitor at the Art of the Car Concours, is bringing his very special 1934 MG PA, serial number 1976, to next year’s event. The PA has an 847 cc four-cylinder engine with twin SU carburetors. It produced 36 horsepower at 5,500 rpm. Kahler discovered his car in New Zealand in 2000. After flying it to Los Angeles in the cargo hold of a United Airlines plane he trailered the car to Colorado and spent 10 years restoring it. The finished car is British Racing Green and has a vintage front-mounted Marshall 75 supercharger that improves performance. In 2011, this vehicle was awarded fifth place in our People’s Choice category.
When Kit Lindsay first laid eyes on Honey Tyler’s 1956 Ford Thunderbird it was in her garage. Tyler’s husband had died and the car had been sitting for 26 years. “Three of the four tires still had air,” Lindsay said. Tyler agreed to sell the car to Lindsay if he would fix it up and take her for a ride when it was finished. Lindsay, who owns a transmission shop in Warrensburg, gave the car a complete restoration. Once the car was complete, Lindsay made good on his promise and took Tyler for a ride. “She was thrilled,” he said.